For individuals, mandatory proof of ownership must include:
- A copy of the claimant's driver license or other governmental photo identification;
- A copy of the claimant's social security card or a government issued document showing the social security number. A W-9 will be accepted for claims less than $500.
For businesses, mandatory proof of ownership must include:
- Documentation that provides the tax identification number (TIN) or federal employer's identification number (FEIN);
- Documentation that provides evidence that the person filing the claim has the authority to act on behalf of the business;
- A copy of the authorized person's company issued photo identification or a copy of his/her driver's license.
If a social security number or TIN was not reported on the abandoned property, it will be necessary for the claimant to submit documentation that provides a connection to the last known address or to the holder (company) that remitted the property at the time of the last activity date reported to our office. These are just the minimum required documents. Other documents may be required on a case by case basis.